MUHLENBERG COUNTY, Ky. (2/11/13) - Local fire officials and the Kentucky State Fire Marshall's office will return today, Monday, February 11, to what once was the home of Rudy Cundiff on HWY 176 between Greenville and Drakesboro.
SurfKY News reported earlier that the home seems to literally have exploded into flames Saturday night. No one was home, and no injuries were reported. Today officials will attempt to piece together the cause of the large fire and explosion that leveled the home around 8 p.m. Saturday.
Greenville Fire Department Lt. Chuck Browning, one of the first on the scene, told reporters that the explosion of the home was reported, not only throughout Muhlenberg County, but also from neighboring Logan and other surrounding counties, with alarmed citizens wanting to know what the thunderous shaking was. Several people in the area also reported a temporary power outage due to the explosion.
Lt. Browning said, "When I arrived on the scene there was fire everywhere and there was a debris field 360 degrees around what was left of the house. It's apparent that it was an explosion. We called for the Kentucky State Fire Marshals to come, along with the Kentucky State Police fire investigator."
The large residence, located just seconds from Muhlenberg's East Campus, was little more than a slab of concrete and smoldering splinters by Sunday morning.
Lt. Browning confirmed the explosion occurred at the residence of Rudy Cundiff on HWY 176, and that the Cundiff family was not at home during the explosion, but Browning did confirm that Cundiff was contacted Sunday morning.
Cundiff is the owner of a local business, Country Boy Truck parts. The business is located directly behind the location of the home but suffered no damage.
There is also a smaller home directly in front of the leveled structure that also received no apparent damage.
When asked if a gas leak may have been the cause, Lt. Browning said, "It was told to us that there were some liquid propane gas heaters upstairs, but the majority of the house was heated by electricity."
Numerous departments responded to the fire, according to Browning, including the fire departments from Greenville, Drakesboro, Beechmont, Graham, Central City, EMS, and the Muhlenberg County Sheriff's Department, along with the Kentucky State Police.
Any follow up, Browning said, will come from the Kentucky State Fire Marshall's Office.
SurfKY News will bring you further details as they are released.
Photo provided by SurfKY Graphics
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|