FRANKFORT, Ky. (4/7/14) — Kentucky State Parks will be serving their annual Easter buffets April 20, and several parks are planning other special events.
The menu includes beef carved on the line, baked country ham, golden fried catfish and hushpuppies. The meal will also include fresh fruit, a cheese bar, garden vegetables, salad and desserts.
Several parks are planning egg hunts and other activities for guests. For more information, or to make lodging reservations, visit www.parks.ky.gov.
Here are Easter weekend events:
Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park, Mount Olivet, Children’s Egg Hunt, April 19.
- More than 2,000 eggs filled with candy or toys will be hidden for children under age 12.
- Four age categories; 0 - 2, 3 - 5, 6 - 8 and 9 - 12. Eggs in each group will be hidden in different locations surrounding Pioneer Museum. Prizes awarded.
- Egg hunt begins 11 a.m. in the front of the museum. Call (800) 443-7308.
Buckhorn Lake State Resort, Buckhorn, Egg Hunt, April 19; Easter Lunch, April 20.
- Buckhorn will host an Easter egg hunt on the Marina Road, April 19, 2:30 p.m.
- There will be eggs and Easter bags stuffed with candy and toys for girls and boys in age categories 2 and under, 3 - 4, 5 - 6, 7 – 8 and 9 - 12.
- The Easter Bunny will also make an appearance during the festivities. An Easter lunch feast will be Sunday, April 20, from noon - 4 p.m.
- For additional questions, call (800) 325-0058.
Carter Caves State Resort Park, Olive Hill, Easter Weekend Getaway, April 19 - 20.
- The park will have family-oriented recreation programs throughout the weekend. Egg coloring, scavenger hunting and other fun recreational program opportunities are planned.
- The Easter buffet will be served Sunday, and the park will have its annual Easter egg hunt, sponsored by the Carter Caves Homemakers, with more than 1,000 eggs for children ages 12 and under.
- The egg hunt will start promptly 2 p.m. at the welcome center. Tours of Cascade Cave and X-cave will be on a regular schedule. Call (800) 325-0059.
Grayson Lake State Park, Olive Hill, Easter Weekend, April 18 – 19.
- Campers can participate in a campground decoration contest Friday. There will be a junior golf clinic and putting contest for adults Saturday morning.
- The Easter egg hunt will be noon for children ages 12 and under. Afterwards, enjoy a cake at the campground shelter to celebrate the Kentucky State Parks’ 90th birthday.
- Events are free and for campers. Call (606) 474-6856.
Jenny Wiley State Resort Park, Prestonsburg, Easter Egg Hunt, April 19.
- Come to the campground for the annual Easter egg hunt 2 p.m.
- Candy and prizes will be in the eggs. For children ages 12 and under.
- Enjoy the annual Easter buffet Sunday from noon to 8 p.m. Call (800) 325-0142.
Kenlake State Resort Park, Aurora, Egg Hunt, April 20.
- Kenlake will host an Easter egg hunt April 20 on the front lawn of the Kenlake Hotel 2 p.m.
- Eggs are stuffed with prizes for girls and boys in age categories 2 and under, 3 - 5, 6 - 9 and 10-12.
- The Easter Bunny will also make an appearance during the festivities. Enjoy breakfast in the Aurora Landing restaurant from 7 - 10 a.m., and the Easter lunch buffet from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call (800) 325-0143.
Lake Barkley State Resort Park, Cadiz, Egg-ceptional Egg Hunt, April 20.
- Lake Barkley’s Windows on the Water Restaurant will offer its annual Easter buffet from noon - 8 p.m. April 20.
- That afternoon, more than 3,000 eggs will be part of the park’s Egg-ceptional Egg Hunt!
- The Easter Bunny arrives at the fitness center 2:30 p.m., and the egg hunt starts 3 p.m. at the fitness center.
- From toddlers to teenagers, bring your baskets and gather some goodies. The egg hunt is sponsored by employees of Lake Barkley State Resort Park and Friends of Lake Barkley SRP Inc. Call (800) 325-1708.
Lake Cumberland State Resort Park, Jamestown, Easter Egg Hunt, April 20.
- Several thousand eggs filled with candy or toys will be hidden for girls and boys under the age of 13.
- There will be different age categories, and eggs will be hidden in different areas for each category in the disc golf course area. Prizes will be awarded.
- The hunt will start 1 p.m. CDT at hole No. 1 of the disc golf course. Call (270) 343-3111.
Old Fort Harrod State Park, Harrodsburg, Community Egg Hunt, April 19.
- The entire community is invited to the park noon to take part in a long-running Harrodsburg tradition.
- Children up to 12 years old can search for eggs and candies hidden in the grass and compete in great fun and games. Sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Harrodsburg. Kids can have pictures made with the Easter Bunny. Call (859) 734-3314.
Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park, Dawson Springs, Easter Eggcitement, April 20.
- Enjoy the annual Easter buffet from noon - 8 p.m.
- Photos with the Easter Bunny will be 1:30 p.m. at the lodge ($2 fee).
- A free Easter egg hunt will be held 2:30 p.m. at the lodge. This event is co-sponsored by the Friends of Pennyrile. Call (800) 325-1711.
Rough River Dam State Resort Park, Falls of Rough, Easter Eggstravaganza, April 19.
Please contact the park for more information at (800) 325-1713.
- Rough River Dam State Resort Park and the Friends of Rough River Lake Inc. will host the annual Easter Eggstravaganza April 19.
- Bring the children out to visit the Easter Bunny and hunt for hidden eggs. The Easter Eggstravaganza will begin 2 p.m.
Information provided by Kentucky Department of Parks
LIKE SurfKY on Facebook - Click here to LIKE us now.
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.