GREENVILLE, Ky. (7/23/14) — James family of Greenville lost all their possessions in a house fire at around 6:30 p.m. Monday, July 21.
A fire broke out at the home of Brent and Amanda James on Kennedy Brasher Road as the couple was sleeping and their son, Zach, was watching television with his brother, John Pope.
Zach heard a noise outside and found the wooden deck was on fire. He noticed the fire was approaching the propane tank near the grill. So, he woke his family and got them out of the house moments before the tank exploded and set the rest of the house on fire. Brent said he is a hard person to wake but his son made sure he was awake.
The family has a 1-year-old bull dog named Chabba, who was excited and did not want to leave the house, but Brent was able to scoop up the dog and carry him to a safe spot near the road.
"My dad just made it to us with the dog just as the tank exploded," said Zach.
Today, the family is sitting outside the house watching it as it slowly continues to burn to the ground.
"There is no local hydrant so the fire department will not come back unless the structure threatens other property,” said Brent. “The fire department thinks the fire started in an outside outlet next to the deck. We are very lucky that Zach was alert, and was able to warn us."
The family is unsure of what they are going to do in the future. Brent James is on disability and they are not sure if they can get another house loan to replace the house they lost. Amanda James was able to grab her wallet as she left the bedroom but the rest of the family lost their wallets and IDs.
James said he is going to miss some of the furniture that burned as he and his wife have had it since they got married, and it meant a lot to them. Amanda James said they lost all of their photos including the ones on the computer and flash drives. She is hoping to recover some of them through friends and family.
The family is receiving some help. The Red Cross contacted them and offered them access to various Red Cross services. Carter Creek Church has given them some money to help them with current expenses. Woodland Church's WMU group has brought food to the family. Main Street Costumes has also offered the family assistance.
Commonwealth Community Bank has set up a fund for donations to give money directly to the James family.
The fire marshal is expected at the house on Wednesday.
SurfKy News Reporter
SurfKY News Photos/Charles Riley
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|