KENTUCKY (10/4/13) – SurfKY News would like to share with you what has happened on this day in history.
• 1904 - 1st day of NYC subway, 350,000 people ride 9.1 mile tracks
• 1911 - 1st public elevator (London's Earl's Court Metro Station)
• 1922 - For 1st time, entire World Series broadcast over radio (WJZ & WGY)
• 1949 - United Nations' permanent NYC headquarters is dedicated
• 1957 - "Leave It to Beaver," debuts on CBS
• 1976 - Supreme Court lifts 1972 ban on death penalty for convicted murderers
• 1984 - US government closes down due to budget problems
• 1997 - The second largest cash robbery in U.S. history occurs at the Charlotte, North Carolina
• 1970 - Janis Joplin, rock singer (Down on Me), dies of a drug overdose at 27
Information provided by historyorb.com
Copyright 2013 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|< Prev||Next >|