FRANKFORT, Ky. (9/9/13) – Gov. Steve Beshear announced today that five projects to repave and rehabilitate intersections in Clark, Madison, Marshall, McCracken and Powell counties have been awarded to contract by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
The projects are part of a larger initiative begun in May 2012 to target intersections across the Commonwealth in greatest need of repair. The 2012-2018 Kentucky Highway Plan contained funding for projects specifically designed to rehabilitate pavements at heavily traveled intersections. More than $6 million in intersection projects was awarded to contract in 2012, and the same amount or more is expected in 2013.
“The funding for these heavily traveled intersections was a departure from what the state has done in the past,” Gov. Beshear said. “But we have seen great benefit in repairing these areas before they get to an unsafe state. This program has been a true success.”
“In the past, these intersections were not addressed unless part of a bigger project,” explained Kentucky Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock, who is Gov. Beshear’s designated representative for highway safety. “But this program has improved that process and in turn increased safety for our traveling public.”
Intersections targeted in the latest award include:
• Clark County – Van Meter Road (KY1958) and KY 1927. Bluegrass Contracting Corp. was awarded the contract for $373,829. Completion date: Nov. 30, 2013.
• Madison County – Richmond Bypass (U.S. 25) and KY 52. Bluegrass Contracting Corp. was awarded the contract for $335,408. Completion date: Nov. 30, 2013.
• Marshall County – Murray-Benton Road (U.S. 641) and KY 402. River Town Construction LLC was awarded the contract for $444,336. Completion date: June 30, 2014.
• McCracken County – Husbands Road (KY 1954) and the Interstate 24 eastbound off ramp. Harper Construction LLC was awarded the contract for $312,035. Completion date: June 30, 2014.
• Powell County – Clay City-Irvine Road (KY 82) and KY 15. Bluegrass Contracting Corp. was awarded the contract for $108,180. Completion date: Nov. 15, 2013.
Information provided the office of Gov. Steve Beshear
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|