LEXINGTON, Ky. (4/4/13) – Friday, April 5 marks the beginning of Spring Meet at Keeneland and with the warming weather tailgaters are expected to be out in full force to celebrate. You can join the party and still have cash left over to bet on your favorite horse with our budget-friendly tips for tailgating.
• Invite Your Friends: Throw a potluck-style tailgate party and plan a menu in advance so everyone brings something different to share.
• Shop Around: Check out the weekly specials at a few stores to find the best deals on your tailgating essentials. This week’s Kroger ad in Lexington features $0.99/pound chicken breasts that are perfect for grilling. Complement your meal with Meijer potato chips, on sale for 50% off this week.
• BYOB: Even with happy hour specials and other promotions, your cheapest option is to bring a cooler of your favorite beer or bourbon along. Just remember, no kegs allowed!
• Buy Reusable Supplies: If you plan on being a regular at Keeneland this month, invest in some reusable plates and utensils you can bring again and again. It is a great way to go green while saving your hard-earned green.
• Take Advantage of Special Events: College kid? Opening day is also Keeneland’s College Scholarship Day. Admission is free with a college I.D. and there is free food and prizes, including college scholarships for 10 lucky students! Check out Keeneland’s calendar for a list of all the special events happening this season: http://www.keeneland.com/calendar/racing.
• Follow the Rules: Stay in the designated tailgating area adjacent to the Keene Barn and Entertainment center. A full list of regulations is available at http://www.keeneland.com/tailgating-and-tents.
The Spring Race Meet is from April 5-26, with no racing on Mondays or Tuesdays. General admission is $5/person; children under 12 are admitted for free when accompanied by an adult.
Information Provided by Keeneland Association, Inc.
Photo provided by SurfKY Graphics
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|