LEXINGTON, Ky. (3/4/14) — The University of Kentucky rifle team placed second overall at the Great America Rifle Conference Championships in Oxford, Miss., posting a 2364 Sunday to claim the air rifle title and finish with an aggregate score of 4672.
"I was really pleased with how our team came back and responded today," UK head coach Harry Mullins said. "It's nice to win in air rifle but I was mostly just pleased to see how the team bounced back after yesterday's disappointing number and really competed today."
- Sophomore Connor Davis led the way for the Wildcats, delivering a season-best air rifle performance with a 597. Davis has shot a 597 twice before in his career as Wildcat, each coming last season vs. TCU and Alaska-Fairbanks.
- Davis' strong air rifle performance qualified him for the final where he would finish fourth individually in air rifle.
- GARC Shooter of the Year Emily Holsopple followed suit with a 592 in air rifle on Sunday and eventually placed second individually after posting a 204.7 in the final.
- Freshman Sonya May just missed qualifying for the air rifle final after shooting a 591.
- Freshman Heather Kirby wrapped up the day with a 584 in air rifle, while UK's final counter Aaron Holsopple shot a 577.
"Even though we shot a 2364 I thought we even had a little more to give," Mullins said. "I'm happy with how today turned out but now we know we have to get to work over the next couple weeks as we head to the NCAA Championships."
West Virginia walked away with the conference title after its 2363 in air rifle brought its aggregate score to 4700. Marin Prediger of WVU won the individual air rifle title with a 592 followed by a 206.7 in the final.Kentucky will return to action in two weeks at the NCAA Championships in Murray, Ky.
Information provided by UK Athletics
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|