OWENSBORO, Ky. (4/24/14) — Daviess County Public Library is planning the following reading events this summer:
- Nelstone Stone Carving Workshops, 1 - 2 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m.; 6 - 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 11, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Join Al and Penny Nelson, from Nelstone, in a unique stone carving program that allows participants to work together and proudly and successfully create limestone artwork. Registration required.
- Trunnell’s Farm Market, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 18, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Join Trunnell's Farm Market by digging into the exciting world of agriculture. From learning about plants to bees, we will educate and entertain all ages about the farm. We will read the story Tops and Bottoms, learn the different parts of a plant, and learn what parts are edible and non-edible in an interactive outdoor classroom. Children will learn and investigate germination of seeds and plant needs in an interactive lesson where they will create a Grass-Head to take home and watch grow.
- Frozen in Summer, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 25, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Explore why Olaf really couldn't survive in the summer as we talk about the different chemical forms of water, and play with a type of snow that doesn't melt in the heat.
Registration is required as space is limited.
- Fancy Nancy: Fanciest Doll in the Universe, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 2, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Get fancy at the library as we read, do a craft, and enjoy refreshments. Registration required.
- Doc McStuffins’ Animal Clinic, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m., Wednesday, July 9, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Learn about pet care through imaginative play and interacting with live animals.
- Explosive Volcanoes, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 16, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Have a (volcanic) blast at the library as we learn about the science behind erupting volcanoes and experiment with chemical reactions.
- Go Batty, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Go “batty” at the library as we read, learn about bats, and do a batty craft with our special guest readers.
- The Living Arts & Science Center: Sounds of Science, 2 - 3 p.m.; 3 - 4 p.m. July 30, 2014, ages 12 and younger. Uncover the mystery of vibration and sound waves, experiment with instruments and discover amazing sounds that occur in nature in your very own classroom! We’ll embark on a sensational sonic journey through the physics and biology of sound as we learn how animals adapt and communicate through sound, move sound through liquid, create instruments, perform sound experiments and more!
Information provided by Kim Mattingly
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.