KENTUCKY (11/23/12) – To help Thanksgiving travelers, construction on most major roadways in Kentucky is being suspended through the holiday. Nonetheless, motorists are cautioned to be alert for lane closures in many locations.
“We want to make travel as nearly carefree as we can. But most of all, we want everyone to arrive at their destinations safely,” Kentucky Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock said.
Coinciding with the holiday, all lanes of U.S. 31W (Dixie Highway) near West Point, in Hardin County, have been reopened. The roadway was shut down in the wake of a train derailment involving chemical tanker cars Oct. 29.
Areas where construction has been suspended include Campbell County in northern Kentucky, scene of multiple pavement rehabilitation and bridge maintenance projects on Interstates 75, 275 and 471.
Other project sites where construction is suspended for the holiday but delays may occur because of lane closures or restrictions include:
- U.S. 68 and AA Highway at Maysville in Mason County – Speed reduced to 45 mph with possible traffic changes. Message boards will be in use.
- U.S. 62 – Lanes closed due to construction at KY 171 and KY 181. Temporary traffic lights and changing traffic patterns can be expected at a construction zone at John Y. Brown and AA Highway.
- U.S. 231 near Bowling Green – Construction in both directions between Greenwood Lane and Pascoe Boulevard.
- Interstate 65 – From Bowling Green to Elizabethtown major road construction between Exit 43 and Exit 53.
- U.S. 31W – From Elizabethtown to Louisville between Seibel Court and Herbert Avenue lane closures.
- U.S. 68 – Bowling Green to Lexington, road construction between mile point 14 in Marion County and Marion- Boyle county line.
- U.S. 60 westbound – Roadway reduced on one lane between Nugent Lane and KY 3101.
- I-75 Northbound, Rockcastle County – Roadway reduced to one lane between mile point 54 and mile point 60.
- U.S. 25W, Whitley and Laurel counties – Roadway reduced to one lane due to bridge work between Whitley-Laurel County line and Boone Street. Look for temporary traffic lights.
- U.S. 25 in both directions, Madison County – Roadway reduced to one lane with changing traffic patterns between Casey Circle and KY 876.
- I-64 between Louisville and Frankfort – Speed limit reduced for major road construction between Exit 28 and KY 2861. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained for most of the construction time.
- Blue Grass Parkway – Roadway reduced to one lane in Anderson County between KY 555 and mile point 48.
- U.S. 60, McCracken and Livingston counties – Starting Saturday traffic reduced to single lane with alternating directions due to bridge maintenance.
- Louis B. Nunn/Cumberland Parkway – Traffic reduced to one lane from mile marker 8 to mile marker 9. Lane shifts will also be in place in both directions with speeds reduced to 55 mph.
- Elder Park – Old Moody Road (KY 2856) in Oldham County – Some lane closures and delays between KY 393 and KY 53 for resurfacing Friday and Saturday.
Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for the latest in traffic and travel information in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Information provided by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Copyright 2013 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|< Prev||Next >|