MADISONVILLE, KY (9/24/12) – Over the weekend of September 20-23, the Madisonville Fire Department (MFD) reported three instances of activity within the Madisonville city limits.
On Thursday, at approximately 5:43 PM, MFD received an alert from Central Dispatch for fire alarm activation at 1150 Hayes Avenue, Grapevine Elementary School. Upon arrival fire crews discovered that Nicks Pest Control was fumigating the school and had accidentally set off the smoke detectors. Alarm was silenced and school officials advised the alarm company to deactivate the system until the fumigation was complete. No further action needed. All units returned to station.
On Friday afternoon, at approximately 5:16 PM, MFD received an alarm from Central Dispatch for a dumpster on fire behind the E-Z Shop at 1155 North Main Street. Upon arrival fire crew found a dumpster fully involved with fire. Fire crew deployed the 1 3/4" 150' pre-connect with .01% of foam added to the water to extinguish the fire. The fire was quickly under control and then put out. The contents of the dumpster appeared to be mostly paper products and a charcoal grill. The area was deemed safe and no further action was taken. Fire units returned to the station.
On Saturday, at approximately 8:28 AM, MFD received an alarm from Central Dispatch that a gas leak had occurred at 125 West Jagoe and Atmos requested Fire Department response. Upon arrival fire crew found a large volume of gas venting through a 2 inch line that had been ruptured by city sewer crew using a backhoe. Atmos personnel ask a fire officer to block off streets and stand by while they dug the line up to shut off gas. A 150ft. 13/4 hose line was deployed for safety. Door to door contact was conducted by fire personnel to check on occupant’s welfare and advised what the scene situation was. Crew remained on scene until gas was shut off. Upon confirmation that the gas leak was capped off, the scene was deemed safe and turned over to Atmos Energy personnel. All units returned to stations.
Information provided by the Madisonville Fire Department
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|