The proposed KCTCS 2014-16 biennial capital budget request is based on the KCTCS 2014-20 Six-Year Capital Plan that was developed based on information submitted by the presidents of the 16 colleges that comprise the statewide two-year college system.
The capital budget request:
- Encompasses new construction, maintenance of existing facilities, renovation and expansion of existing facilities, capital equipment, and information technology equipment.
- Recognizes the importance of maintaining the existing physical plant in a condition that enables the colleges to provide quality educational programs and services.
- Emphasizes new construction projects that expand instructional capacity and new construction projects that are continuations of initiatives begun in previous biennial budgets.
The project with the highest priority on the list is a proposed Bluegrass Community and Technical College 80,000 square foot advanced manufacturing learning center in Georgetown, Kentucky. The new facility is designed to assist the Bluegrass Economic Advancement Movement (BEAM) achieve their goals for making the Bluegrass Region a premier advanced manufacturing area. Additionally, the facility will support the recently announced $531 million expansion of Toyota Motor Manufacturing with their specialized training needs.
"This facility will help create the environment and ecosystem needed to allow Kentucky companies to innovate, adopt new technologies, and bring in the talent to support innovation," said KCTCS Board of Regents Chair P.G. Peeples.
Other high priority projects include construction of the:
- Maysville Community and Technical College/Morehead State University Postsecondary Center of Excellence – Phase I.
- Jefferson Community and Technical College Carrollton campus - Phase I.
- Owensboro Community and Technical College Advanced Technology Center – Phase II.
- Madisonville Community College Postsecondary Education Center.
In other business, the Board:
- Ratified 77 new certificates and diploma programs.
- Approved 17,708 credentials (12,393 of which are unduplicated) academic credential requests (certificates, diplomas, or associate degrees) between April 11, 2013 and July 29, 2013.
The credentials include:
- 10,315 candidates for certificates.
- 1,221 candidates for diplomas.
- 6,172 candidates for associate degrees.
The next meeting of the KCTCS Board of Regents will be December 5-6, 2013, at the KCTCS System Office in Versailles, Kentucky.
Information provided by Heather Baber
Copyright 2013 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|< Prev||Next >|