FRANKFORT, Ky. (4/30/13) – Fourteen Kentucky Crafted artists will exhibit handmade art and craft and offer goods for sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 4, on the lawn of the Old State Capitol as part of the Governor's Derby Celebration festivities.
Since 1936, there have been gatherings, both large and small, in the capital city to celebrate the Kentucky Derby. This year marks the sixth event hosted by Governor Steve Beshear and First Lady Jane Beshear. The events are free and open to the public.
"Kentucky's high-quality handmade art and craft is an important part of our state's heritage," said Lori Meadows, arts council executive director. "It's a natural fit that artists are an important part of a celebration showcasing all manner of great things about Kentucky on one of the most exciting days of the year in the Commonwealth."
Artists who will exhibit at this year's event are:
- Estelle Sizemore, Berea
- Keith Chambers, Woodwerks, Lexington
- Liz Davis, Lizzy's Frizzy's, Hartford
- Corey Marcum, Bluegrass Expressions, Somerset
- Judy Rosati, Judy Rosati's Fine Arts Photography, Louisville
- Bruce and Kelley Hoefer, Turning Wheel Pottery, Berea
- Mick Shambro, ShambroLa Wood Art, Lexington
- Sherri Cocanougher, Bobcat Hollow, Parksville
- Melissa Oesch, ReImagined by Luna, Lexington
- Paula Clark, Frankfort
- Jim Jones, Forge On Metalworks, Nicholasville
- Curran Copeland, Sweet Sawdust, Cadiz
- Erin Taydus, Sassa Bella, Harrodsburg
- Marti Brown, Made on Magnolia, Shelbyville
In addition to the exhibiting artists, activities include free concerts, children's activities, and the annual Governor's Derby Exhibit coordinated by the arts council.The exhibit features works of art by 26 Kentucky artists and is on display in the Capitol Rotunda. The rotunda will be open for visitors to view the exhibit during the Derby celebration.
The Kentucky Arts Council, the state arts agency, creates opportunities for Kentuckians to value, participate in and benefit from the arts. Kentucky Arts Council funding is provided by the Kentucky General Assembly and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Information provided by The Kentucky Arts Council
Copyright 2013 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|< Prev||Next >|