MURRAY, KY (4/17/12) - The Murray Half Marathon returns to Murray Saturday, taking hundreds of runners through the streets of the city and county. Motorists traveling through the area are advised of several road closures and detours that will be in place during the race.
The race begins at 7 a.m. and the course will close at 10:30 a.m. The majority of streets will have intermittent traffic allowed as runners pass, and every intersection on the course will have an official directing and/or re-routing traffic. Most streets will fully open as the last runners pass through.
“We want drivers to be aware that there will be runner on the road, and we are there to ensure they remain safe,” said Sgt. Ryan Dawson of the Kentucky State Police, who is coordinating the race-day traffic. “Please be extra-cautious and patient. We will be allowing traffic through as best we can and providing detours when necessary.”
The following areas will be closed for the duration of the race: Poplar Street from 10th to 8th street and 8th Street from Poplar to Main street. Other areas will be closed or have limited access during portions of the race, and several key locations are mentioned below:
- From 7-8 a.m., any traffic to the downtown courthouse square is advised to access it from 4th and Maple streets or 5th and Main streets.
- Main Street from 4th to 10th street will be closed from approximately 6:50-8 a.m. The intersection of 10th and Chestnut streets will not be closed, but traffic officials will allow intermittent traffic as runners pass. Arcadia Drive and the entrance to Murray-Calloway County Park will be close from 7-8 a.m.
- Traffic heading north on U.S. Hwy 641 will be restricted to one lane from Arcadia Drive to the intersection of Utterback Road. Dawson advised those traveling to shopping centers on the east side of 641 to enter using the stoplights at 121 or in front of Roy Stewart Stadium.
- Dawson said he will be placing special emphasis on the intersection of U.S. 641 and Poor Farm Road, where runners will be crossing. Drivers will be directed to two alternate routes to get into Murray during peak moments of the race.
- Bailey Road will be restricted to northbound traffic only from 121 to Poor Farm Road.
- From 8-9:30 a.m., 16th Street from the five points intersection to Main Street will be closed, as well as Main Street from 16th Street to Doran Road and Doran Road from Main Street to Sycamore Street. Sycamore Street from Doran Road to 10th Street will be closed from 9-10:30 a.m. Cross traffic will be allowed intermittently.
The Murray Half Marathon is sponsored by the Murray Calloway Endowment for Healthcare at Murray-Calloway County Hospital. For more information on the race, visit www.murrayhalfmarathon.com or call (270) 762-1908.
Information provided by Lough Kyser
Copyright 2013 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|< Prev||Next >|