MADISONVILLE, Ky. (9/18/13) – A Madisonville family has been displaced due to an overflow of sewer sludge generated by a back-up in the city's sewer system.
Tiffany Miller of 110 W. McLaughlin Ave. said that she was preparing the family's dinner when the City's Waste Water Collection department came to access the manhole in the backyard of their rental home.
From there, things went awry.
"About 20 minutes after they started working, all this black sludge started coming out of the toilet," said Miller. "It started pouring into the floor in the bathroom and continued for about 20-30 minutes."
Miller said she and her husband and their three children went to a hotel for the evening and then again Tuesday night.
The All Clean company of Hopkinsville was summoned to clean up the house and is continuing the work, said Miller.
Leslie Curneal with the City of Madisonville said the Millers' as well as all claims are turned over to the city's insurance adjuster with Collins and Company from Mayfield. Curneal confirmed that the Waste Water Collection crew had been attempting to clear a blockage, which resulted in the back up.
Miller said the family has spent about $300 since Monday in hotel room fees, food and gas to get the children to school and back and forth to their home.
"We were concerned about the money we were spending on hotel rooms and food," said Miller. "But the insurance adjuster worked it out with the Days Inn that we can stay here another week. So, I'm feeling a bit easier."
Miller said the food in their home refrigerator has been lost due to a circuit breaker being tripped during the clean-up. Other food items such as perishables are in the house but she believes it might be harmful to eat those items especially opened boxes of cereal.
"When you're uncertain about even a place to sleep, it gets you pretty worried," said Miller. "We've been eating the complimentary breakfast the hotel provides and then the kids eat lunch at school. So, really, I've mainly had to worry about dinner."
Miller said other inconveniences include the loss of clothing that was soiled by the overflow and furniture.
"I've been going over to unlock for the All Clean crew each morning and when you open the door, it's horrible," she said.
The Millers have three children; two boys and a girl.
"We normally eat most of our food at home and don't eat out that much," said Miller. "So, this has been a challenge."
Miller said there is a small refrigerator and a small microwave in their room. She believes her family will be displaced for about a month.
Rita Dukes Smith
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|