KENTUCKY (2/14/14) —There are many different ways to convey feelings of affection.
Some people pen poetry, others bestow gifts, while still others feel moved by music and lyrics.
Songs have long been a popular way to convey emotions, and love songs have been performed by artists from nearly every musical genre at some point in time.
Although music is subjective, some love songs have stood out as fan favorites.
Commonly featured at weddings or as the backdrop on romantic evenings, the following songs are considered some of the more popular love songs of all time.
- "Love Theme From 'A Star Is Born'" (Evergreen): This Barbara Streisand classic from the hit film helped Streisand earn both an Academy Award for Best Song from a Motion Picture and Grammy Award for Song of the Year.
- "Up Where We Belong": Few people can forget the ending scene of "An Officer and a Gentleman" when Richard Gere sweeps Debra Winger off of her feet. The song "Up Where We Belong" by Jennifer Warnes and Joe Cocker from the movie will always be a romantic favorite.
- "All My Life": Former Jodeci members K-Ci and JoJo created an enduring romantic song with this pop hit.
- "Save the Best for Last": This song became Vanessa William's signature song and a smash hit.
- "Be With You": Soul singer Mary J. Blige emphasizes sticking with the one you love by being loyal.
- "I Do It for You": This Bryan Adams hit was nominated for an Oscar as the theme for the 1991 film "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves."
- "I'll Make Love to You": This Boyz II Men song was one of the longest-running No. 1 hits of all time.
- "Lovesong": The Cure's Robert Smith penned this song as a present to his wife, Mary, in 1988.
- "Sweet Love": Anita Baker's soulful hit helped turn her from a budding R&B singer into a household name.
- "Love Me Tender": His good looks and gyrating hips helped thousands of women fall in love with Elvis Presley. However, this signature love song endeared the famed crooner to many others.
- "My Heart Will Go On": Celine Dion's theme from "Titanic" became one of the most popular love songs of all time after the film's 1997 debut.
- "I'll Stand by You": This 1994 hit from The Pretenders can be interpreted as a song of romantic devotion or a commitment to friends.
- "You Are So Beautiful": Joe Cocker makes the list again with this soulful 1975 hit.
- "Have I Told You Lately": Originally written and recorded by Van Morrison, this song gained new life and notoriety when recorded by Rod Stewart.
- "My Girl": Beloved R&B group The Temptations deliver a song about sunshine on a cloudy day in this classic.
- "I Will Always Love You": Written and performed by Dolly Parton, this song is perhaps most known for the version performed by Whitney Houston for the soundtrack of her 1992 film "The Bodyguard."
- "Time After Time": A song of devotion, Cyndi Lauper earned her first No. 1 single with this hit.
- "Hey There, Delilah": A simple song of young love by the Plain White T's.
- "Unchained Melody": The Righteous Brothers delivered the best-known version of this song, which helped create movie magic between Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore in the 1990 film "Ghost."
- "Just the Way You Are": Billy Joel's classic in which he tells his beloved she is perfect as-is.
- "Your Song": A simple, eloquent song of love by Elton John.
LIKE SurfKY on Facebook - Click here to LIKE us now.
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.