MADISONVILLE, Ky. (5/6/14) — The Joint Planning Committee held a meeting Tuesday to discuss and prioritize the goals of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan.
The goal of the plan is to present residents with entertainment, arts, cultural, and recreational opportunities, as well as provide optimal community and neighborhood connectivity, according to the vision statement. The nine goals were generated through public opinion in meetings held in August, September and October.
The survey taken by committee members at Tuesday’s meeting revealed the prioritization of the goals in this order:
- Diversify the job base to provide economic development opportunities.
- Designate land use to provide suitable locations for future growth in Hopkins County.
- Provide ample utility capacity to existing development before future growth areas.
- Provide a functional transportation network for commerce, commuters, and recreation.
- Foster an education system which supports the marketplace and the communities in which they serve.
- Develop necessary facilities and adequate personnel levels.
- Expand and improve recreational and entertainment opportunities.
- Promote and develop a unified character and identity for Hopkins County.
- Generate policies which enhance the quality of life for all communities within Hopkins County.
The goals—as of now—are broad, but as the process continues, specific strategic planning will begin, according to Cindy Young, administrative assistant for the committee.
“This is the one part of the process where you can dream, “said Director Ted Adkins.The Joint Planning Committee plans to vote officially on the 2035 Comprehensive Plan in June. Action will most likely take place soon after the vote, in August or September. For more information, go to HopkinsCountyPlanning.org.
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|