GOLDEN POND, Ky. (5/9/14) — At Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area, Woodlands Nature Station, The Homeplace and Golden Pond Planetarium offer a variety of daily programs about nature, history, and the universe.
Special Events focus on a specific educational topic like preserving old-time music at the Homeplace’ s Pickin’ Party, unique wildlife at the Nature Station’s Cool and Crawly Critters Day, and the Planetarium’s free Astronomy Day. Sometimes special guests like Smokey Bear make an appearance. Visitors are encouraged to bring their cameras, binoculars, and picnics or stop at any gateway community for food and supplies.
The 2014 summer lineup of Special Events at Land Between The Lakes include:
- May 10; free Astronomy Day
- May 24-26; Wildlife Celebration
- May 31; Children’s Day on the Farm
- June 14-15; The Pickin’ Party; 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- June 14; National Get Outdoors Day; free admission to Nature Station
- July 4; Independence Day Celebration; 1-4 p.m.
- July 12; Cool and Crawly Critters Day; 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- July 18-19; Wranglers’ Primitive Rodeo
- Hummingbird Month; Hummingbird programs all month
- Aug. 2-3; Hummingbird Weekend
- Aug. 30-31; Homeplace Trades Fair
- Aug. 30-Sept 1; Nature’s Most Extreme Weekend.
Planetarium and Observatory
- Laser Music Shows: May 24 - August 31; Every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday; 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Additional shows Saturdays 8 p.m. June 7 and 21, July 5 and 19, August 2 and 16; All seats $7
- Planetarium Shows and Star Parties: Saturdays 8 p.m. May 31, June 14 and 28, July 12 and 26, August 9, 23, and 30; $5 ages 13 and up, $3 ages 5-12, under 4 free; Star Parties follow planetarium shows; free for all
The Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, manages Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area in partnership with Friends of Land Between The Lakes in Western Kentucky and Tennessee. The National Recreation Area provides environmental education, outdoor recreation, lake access, and land management for the public to enjoy. Visitors are encouraged to review the official website at www.lbl.org or call (800) LBL-7077 or (270) 924-2000 for event listings, updates on programs and policies, safety information, maps, temporary trail and road closures, and more. Follow Land Between The Lakes on Twitter @LBLScreechOwl or @LandBtwnLakes and Friends of Land Between The Lakes on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LBLFriend. To sign up for an events e-newsletter, email
. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
- Staff-led Canoe/Kayak Trips: Reservation and full deposit required (270) 924-2020.
- May 24, 25, and 26, June 14 and 21, July 4, 5, and 26, August 16, 30 and 31
Information provided by Land Between The Lakes
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.