PADUCAH, Ky. (9/12/13) – As part of the Mayor’s Art Club, Paducah Mayor Gayle Kaler is organizing a contest for students to hand-craft Christmas ornaments that will be used to decorate trees in City Hall. The contest is for all students, kindergarten through 12th grade, who are City of Paducah residents.
Mayor Kaler says, “I feel that it’s important to encourage young talent and let their artistic creations be a part of the holiday season at City Hall. Plus, I want the students to try to incorporate an aspect of Paducah into their Christmas ornament which will cause them to think about their community, their home.”
The deadline to submit an ornament with a completed Ornament Submission Form to City Hall is Friday, November 15 at 4:30 p.m. No entry fee is required. The ornaments will then be judged by a local panel of art experts and enthusiasts. The top three ornaments and their creators in each of the three categories will be recognized at the December 10 City Commission meeting. The judging categories are K-3rd grade, 4th-8th grade, and 9th-12th grade. Ornaments cannot be returned and will become the property of the City of Paducah. All ornaments that meet the criteria will be displayed at City Hall.
The criteria for the ornaments are listed below:
• Ornaments should be 3-7 inches in height (not including hanger) and ready to hang.
• Ornaments should be approximately a half pound or less in weight.
• No glass or other breakable materials.
• Only one entry per student.
• The use of recycled and natural materials is encouraged.
• Special consideration will be given to ornaments that feature Paducah’s history, landmarks, name, etc.
• Enclose a completed Ornament Submission Form with your entry providing a detailed description of the ornament. Ornaments that cannot be matched with the Ornament Submission Form may be displayed but will not be eligible for judging.
• Artwork must be the student’s own.
• Ornaments will be viewed close up so details are important.
For more information about the 2013 Student Christmas Ornament Contest including the Ornament Submission Form, please visit www.paducahky.gov.