PADUCAH, Ky. (2/6/14) — Lone Oak Middle School seventh grader Johnathon Kirkpatrick created the patch that has been chosen to be on the front cover of the Challenger Learning Center at Paducah's 2013 New Year's Card.
Framed copies of the card were recently presented to him and the school.
Kirkpatrick created the patch last school year in Ms. Alyson Calhoun's science class while preparing for his class trip to fly a simulated space mission to return to the moon at the center.
"Johnathon's patch features an eagle and American flag on the moon. It's a great representation of the moon mission," said Mellisa Duncan, center director.
The cards are sent to the contributors and patrons of the Challenger Learning Center including teachers, superintendents, legislators, campers, board members and donors. A card is even sent to the White House.
The center also chooses eleven other patches to include it its annual calendar.
The schools and students represented in the calendar include:
- January-Stephanie Winsten and Taylor Duncan, Dixon Elementary, Webster County
- February-Eugene Lee, Community Christian Academy
- March-Johnathon Kirkpatrick, Lone Oak Middle School
- April-Bailey Hutchison, 4-H
- May-Claire Thurmond, Southwest Calloway Elementary School
- June-Max Thompson, Reidland Elementary School
- July-Sebastian Camacho, Heath Middle School
- August-Isaac Medley, Lone Oak Elementary School
- September-Ben Fithen, Ballard Middle School
- October-Greg Wilson, Reidland Middle School
- November-Meg Panor, Paducah Middle School
- December-Gionvannie McCoy, Jackson Christian School, TN
For more information about the center please visit www.clcpaducah.org.
"This is the seventh year we have produced a calendar and we are very proud to be able to showcase our students' artwork in such a useable format for all to see," said Duncan.
The Challenger Learning Center at Paducah is located on the campus of West Kentucky Community and Technical College.
Information Provided by Mellisa Duncan
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|