PADUCAH Ky. (4/26/14) — AQS QuiltWeek Paducah, featuring 662 quilts from around the world, opens April 23, 2014.
The high point of the show recognizes the artistry of today’s quilt makers, as over 400 quilters in the AQS Quilt Contest compete for more than $125,000 in cash awards.
Entries in this international contest and exhibition come from around the world, with entries from 41 states and 10 countries. The winners of this year’s contest have just been selected.
This year’s winners come from around the world, each sharing a part of the $125,000 in cash prizes. Quilts from 25 states have won awards at this year’s contest, and several winners come from other countries, including the Netherlands, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Brazil.
These winning quilts will astound the 30,000 quilters expected to visit AQS QuiltWeek in Paducah, Ky., April 23 – 26, 2014.
A highlight of the winners of top honors are:
Janome America, Inc. Best of Show
- #3-123 ElaTED, Ted Storm, ‘s-Gravenzande, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
AQS Best Hand Workmanship Award
- #3-413 Oriental Puzzle, Hitomi Kanazawa, Ahiya, Hyogo, Japan
BERNINA of America Best Home Machine Workmanship Award
- #3-620 Two of Us, Sue Nickels and Pat Holly, Ann Arbor, Mich.
APQS Best Longarm/Midarm Machine Quilting Award
- #3-320 Mistaken Identity, Gail Stepanek and Jan Hutchison, New Lenox, Ill.
Moda Fabrics Best Wall Quilt Award
- #3-1524 The Value of Gears, Judith Phelps, Battle Ground, Washington
A1 Quilting Machines Best Miniature Quilt Award
- #3-1612 Dans Les Bains De Maroc, Robin Gausebeck, Rockford, Ill.
Coats & Clark Best Wall Hand Workmanship Award
- #3-1112 Blue Tone, Aki Sakai, Tokyo, Japan
Brother International Best Wall Home Machine Workmanship Award
- #3-1226 Columbine Serenade, Sandra Leichner, Albany, Ore.
Handi Quilter Best Wall Longarm/Midarm Machine Quilting Award
- #3-1305 Kaleidoscopic Calamity, Margaret Solomon Gunn, Gorham, Maine
TinLizzie18 Judge's Recognition Award - Mary Sorensen
- #3-1241 Flowers in Featherland, Judy Robinson Ehrnst, Springville, Ala.
TinLizzie18 Judge's Recognition Award - Karen K. Stone
- #3-1620 Dutch Flower Pots, Lahala Phelps, Bonney Lake, Washington
TinLizzie18 Judge's Recognition Award - Donna Wilder
- #3-1232 My Favorite Thing, Pam Moller, Beloit, Wis.
There’s still time to come see all the winners, as well as the more than 662 quilts on display in Quilt City USA at the Paducah McCracken County Expo & Convention Center. Admission to AQS QuiltWeek includes access to all special exhibitions and the merchant mall with more than 350 vendor booths. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 23 through Friday, April 25 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 26. Tickets are available at the door.
About the American Quilter's Society
The American Quilter's Society is the largest quilting membership organization in the world. For 30 years, AQS has been the leading voice in quilting inspiration and advice through a broad suite of products-magazines, books, live events, contests, workshops, online networks, patterns, fabric, and catalogs. At AQS, we believe that with inspiration and advice, the creatively-minded individual can take their quilting projects beyond what even they had imagined. The leading authors in quilting choose to publish with AQS; the best in quilt artistry select AQS events to display their work; the newest quilters learn from the knowledge and inspiration of AQS members.For more information, visit American Quilter's Society online, or call (270) 898-7903.
Information provided by Katherine Rupp
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|