MADISONVILLE, Ky. (12/5/13) - Due to the anticipated winter weather system moving towards the Post 2 District, the Kentucky State Police would like to take this opportunity to provide motorists with some important information and numbers.
Here are a few simple steps to help keep you on the road and less stressed:
* Avoid travel unless necessary when winter weather is in your area.
* Slow down.
* Always wear your seat belt.
* Leave early - allow more travel time; expect delays.
* Increase distance between vehicles - it takes significantly longer to stop on snow covered or icy roadways.
* Clear all windows on your vehicle prior to travel - having
unobstructed vision is vital to avoid running off of the road or having a collision.
* Turn on your vehicle's headlamps. Remove any dirt, mud or snow.
* Use caution on bridges and overpasses as they are susceptible to freezing before roadways.
* Avoid using cruise control - cruise can cause the vehicle's wheels to continue turning on a slippery surface when speed needs to be decreased.
* Ensure your vehicle has a full tank of gas in the event you are stranded for an extended period of time.
* Charge your cellular phone prior to departure.
* Take a blanket.
* Notify a family member or a friend of your travel plans prior to departure - if you travel is interrupted, someone will know
* Be patient - bad weather also limits the capabilities of law enforcement officers and emergency crews and increases response time. Also, keep in mind that they will be experiencing a high volume of requests for service.
* Attempt to move your vehicle out of the roadway if you are involved in a minor, non-injury traffic collision; especially if you are in a dangerous area such as a curve or a blind hill.
* If your vehicle is stranded or wrecked but not in the roadway, attempts to recover your vehicle will have to wait until conditions improve for safety considerations.
To view KSP's Winter Driving Tip Sheet, click here.
The KSP request that you contact the numbers listed below to inquire about road conditions. Please do not contact the KSP for road conditions.
Kentucky - dial 511 or 1-866-737-3767. You may also use the web site 511.ky.gov
The Post 2 District includes Caldwell, Christian, Crittenden, Hopkins, Muhlenberg, Todd, and Webster Counties.
Information provided by Stu Recke
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.
|< Prev||Next >|