BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (3/30/14) — Western Kentucky University will implement significant improvements in parking and transit services when school opens in the fall.
Using responses from a survey of students, faculty and staff, WKU’s Parking and Transportation Services has devised a plan to best cope with the loss of spaces on the main campus over the past two years, PTS Director Jennifer Tougas said.
“Most changes will impact commuter and residential students,” she said. “Improvements include increased transit accessibility, limited commuter permit sales, rezoning some parking lots and a new tiered permit option for housing students.”
More details about the improvements are available from the PTS website at www.wku.edu/transportation.
- Increasing transit service to nearby off-campus student housing through a partnership between PTS and GObg public transit.
- Adjusting the Topper Transit system to increase the frequency of buses on routes, serve nearby off-campus student housing, and better serve academic buildings on State and Normal streets.
- Limiting availability of Commuter permits that will be sold for $90 on a first-come, first-served basis. Commuters also have the option of buying a weekday Alumni Square Garage Permit for $160 or a South Campus Park and Ride permit for $50. Transit service will be available from both locations to academic buildings along State and Normal streets.
- Creating a new Housing Premium Permit for $180 that will allow parking in lots closest to residence halls. Residential students also have the option of purchasing a Non-Premium Housing Permit for $90 or a residential Alumni Square Garage Permit for $200.
- Rezoning the Chestnut Street South and Adams Street lots to become Housing lots. University Boulevard Lot at the corner of Normal Street will be rezoned to Commuter parking and will be served by transit routes.
- Faculty and staff will see no price increases for permits.
Fall permit sales begin in early April.More information about the improvements, including a campus map, is available at www.wku.edu/transportation.
Information provided by WKU News
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|