MUHLENBERG COUNTY, Ky. (4/16/13) – On April 22 1970, twenty million people celebrated the first Earth Day. Since then our planet has faced many environmental challenges, but has also made great strides in protecting and preserving our natural resources. This year Earth Day will be celebrated on Monday, April 22. Kentuckians across the Commonwealth will be hosting celebrations to honor our earth.
You can do your part by pledging to make our environment a safer, healthier place to live, work and play. One way to do that is to take part in Be Green 2013, a campaign initiated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Green for All, and Amplify Public Affairs. Be Green 2013 encourages individuals to pledge to commit to one of five actions to protect our environment.
• Installing a rain barrel to conserve water and reduce stormwater runoff
• Biking, walking and taking public transportation to reduce your carbon footprint and improve air quality
• Replacing incandescent light bulbs with LED or compact fluorescent light bulbs to conserve energy
• Recycling unwanted electronics to reduce waste
• Organizing a local environmental education event to increase public knowledge and awareness of environmental issues
For more information on how you can help improve our environment, and be green in 2013 visit the program’s website at http://begreen2013.com/.
Educational programs of the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service serve all people regardless of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.
Information provided by Janie Culton
Photos provided by SurfKY Graphics
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.
|< Prev||Next >|