SurfKY reporter and columnist Taylor Riley.MADISONVILLE, Ky. (2/14/14) - Cupcakes were passed out on Valentine's Day to a mostly female staff at my office.
One of the few males came up and said, "Wow, cupcakes! What's the occasion?"
I can't make this stuff up.
Guys, you really have no clue, do you?
It's not always about the flowers, cards and candy.
It's about knowing and caring about the stuff we like and showing us that you know and care.
With a little help from my friends, I compiled a list of some simple things for us to know "it's real".
- Not everything is wrap – able, but you could try (we love surprises and opening things).
- Instead of flowers, how about a bouquet of something edible? Bacon is always good. Or like a heart-shaped pizza. Pizza equals love.
- Or like a bouquet of wine. Do they make those? You should find out.
- Our favorite over-priced latte, with a gift card attached, so I can buy another one later.
- You were going to spend a pretty penny on the gift, what about just giving me the cash? We have bills, bills, bills.
- If you don't feed us with food, feed us with compliments. One "You look great" can turn our whole day around. We know we look good, we just want you to think so, too.
- We want your Netflix password. C'mon. We want to watch Gossip Girl, you don't. It's a win win.
- When we post a picture on Instagram, like it IMMEDIATELY. Reassurance is always good.
- Know that weekends are meant for sleeping — like sleeping all day. Sleeping beauty only wakes for food.
And some girls know exactly what they don't want for Valentine's Day.
"Never get me a pink teddy bear," said Lauren Gibson. "I'd rather get only flowers than anything that involves a teddy bear. We all know that thing is going to be re – gifted to a baby cousin or niece at the first opportunity."
Are these things too much to ask? Probably. It was worth a shot; we'll try again next year.
Disclaimer: The content supplied by columnists and letters to the Editor on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such content, statement, or opinions therein. SurfKY News does not necessarily adhere to or endorse content provided by outside non-staff sources.
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.