KENTUCKY (10/4/13) – SurfKY News would like to share with you what has happened on this day in history.
• 1904 - 1st day of NYC subway, 350,000 people ride 9.1 mile tracks
• 1911 - 1st public elevator (London's Earl's Court Metro Station)
• 1922 - For 1st time, entire World Series broadcast over radio (WJZ & WGY)
• 1949 - United Nations' permanent NYC headquarters is dedicated
• 1957 - "Leave It to Beaver," debuts on CBS
• 1976 - Supreme Court lifts 1972 ban on death penalty for convicted murderers
• 1984 - US government closes down due to budget problems
• 1997 - The second largest cash robbery in U.S. history occurs at the Charlotte, North Carolina
• 1970 - Janis Joplin, rock singer (Down on Me), dies of a drug overdose at 27
Information provided by historyorb.com
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|