OWENSBORO, Ky. (7/14/14) — Meadow Lands Elementary School has earned the American Heart Association’s Gold Level Fit Friendly Award for the second consecutive year.
In order to achieve this level of recognition, MLES had to meet rigorous criteria in the following areas: Physical activity, nutrition, smoking policy and school culture.
The school surprised requirements in all categories.
Amy Bouchard, MLES physical education instructor, said, “The Meadow Lands Elementary School mission is to provide a safe learning environment where all children LEAP into Learning! Our mission is not just written in the handbook and painted on the gym wall. It is practiced every day. Our school values the role that physical activity plays in learning. We know that by providing our students and staff with physical activity opportunities, we are not just improving their learning styles, social skills, and overall health. We are empowering them to make lifelong healthy decisions. We are encouraging daily behaviors that will impact their quality of life now and in the future.”
Details about the school’s achievements in the areas of assessment are noted below. For more information, contact Amy Bouchard or MLES Principal Kevin Lowe at (270) 852-7450 or by email at
- Walking Program: Examples: Morning walking program, Recess one-quarter mile or one lap prior to playing on equipment, Physical Activity throughout the day: Take Long Way Program, PE Classes, daily recess
- Walking Trails: Indoor & Outdoor
- Physical activity opportunities: Staff YMCA Fitness Classes, Student Running Club, Cheerleading Team, Biddy Basketball Program, International BBQ 5K overall team winner four years in a row Recreational Facilities: gym, walking track, two baseball fields, outdoor fitness stations Other: Two staff teams in the Owensboro Health “Get Moving” Challenge, Dragon Boat Team, Down Syndrome Awareness 5K, Jump Rope for Heart
- MLES earns AHS honor for second year
- Healthy food options and beverages in cafeteria
- Carbohydrate County availability
- Ala carte and beverages meet regulations set forth by Kentucky Department of Agriculture
- Additional Activities: Fruit and vegetable options available daily; health and nutrition information provided to staff during annual open enrollment; annual health screening and flu shots available
- Daviess County Public Schools district has no smoking policy for all school and district campuses.
- Action Plans for on-site emergencies
- CPR/First Aid and AED classes offered on site
- Facilities for staff to promote fitness
Information provided by Lora Wimsatt
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.