OWENSBORO, Ky. (3/19/14) — The following events are scheduled in Daviess County this week.
- Writing Festival & Book Fair March 19 - 21 all day – Owensboro Community & Technical College, 4800 New Hartford Rd.Owensboro Community and Technical College’s Common Reading program will celebrate its 10 Year Anniversary with a Writing Festival and Book Fair. Free readings March 19 - 21 will include notable authors: Silas House, author of "A Parchment of Leaves", George Ella Lyon, Bobbie Ann Mason, Davis McCombs, Joe Survant (former Kentucky Poet Laureate), and Frank X Walker (current Kentucky Poet Laureate). All readings are free and open to the public. A writing seminar by Silas House will take place at 10 a.m. March 21 – ticket required. An evening reception will be held March 19, with the authors - ticket required. A book fair will be held March 19-21. Writers’ tables are free, but limited. Admission to the book fair, featuring these authors and other local and regional writers, is free.
- Tim Wolfe Benefit Softball Tournament March 21 - 24 all day – Fisher Park, 3900 W. Fifth Street Rd. Softball tournaments will be held throughout the day.
- 2nd Annual Color Blast 5K March 22, 9 a.m.- noon – Moreland Park, Owensboro. A 5k run/walk color celebration to recognize the positive impact individuals with special needs have on our lives, to acknowledge their abilities, and help spread awareness. Participants wear anything and everything white and along the run/walk route, participants will be “BLASTED” with a safe and non-toxic colored powder at each mile marker and the finish line. The color fun continues to the After Party for live music, food, crazy fun, and group color showers! We are encouraging families, schools, church groups, friends, and business groups to get involved in this non-competitive 5K event to have fun and support a great cause! Don’t miss the opportunity to have fun in our Downtown Owensboro area. The proceeds raised will benefit the six organizations who are contributing a portion to the WHAS Crusade for Children. The WHAS Crusade for Children, an organization based at WHAS TV studios in Louisville, KY, raise and distributes millions of dollars in Kentucky and Indiana each year for special needs children; last year they raised and distributed over 5 million dollars. To ensure your participation in the fun and to receive your free pre-packaged color packet for the After-Party and a free race t-shirt; make sure to pre-register as soon as possible! Write it on the calendar, tie a string on your finger, or set a reminder in your phone whatever you do don’t miss the fun March 22nd! Visit www.colorblast5k.org for more information.
- Saturday Morning Live March 22, 10 a.m. - noon – Daviess Co. Public Library, 2020 Frederica St. Self-guided fun and educational activities with a focus on literacy and school readiness will be offered. For more information, contact the library at (270) 684-0211.
- "Hop on Pop" March 22, 10 a.m. - noon – Owensboro Museum of Science & History, 122 E.2nd St. Storylab features "Hop on Pop", by Dr. Suess! Hear Science Educator Kim Ray read the book, then discover all kinds of science fun. Story Lab Activity: This is one of the museum's most popular and requested StoryLabs. In honor of Dr. Suess's birthday, they have a fun pack of science. Hoppers, poppers and balance a variety of activities that demonstrate transfer of energy and potential/kinetic energy. This is a great activity for pre-school through elementary age groups and is included in the price of admission. Call (270) 687-2732 for more information.
- 2nd Annual Hats Off To The Children Ladies Luncheon March 22, 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Kentucky Wesleyan College, 3000 Frederica St. Held in Hocker Hall at Kentucky Wesleyan College, the Alma Randolph Charitable Foundation is hosting this luncheon to benefit disadvantaged children in Owensboro-Daviess County. Tickets are $25 each, or a table of eight for $200. For reservations or further information, contact (270) 852-6559.
- Owensboro Dance Theatre’s “In Concert” featuring "The Land of Oz: A Journey Down the Yellow Brick Road" March 22, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. – RiverPark Center, 101 Daviess St. In Concert opens with a dynamic first act performed by Owensboro Dance Theatre's company members. Pieces feature a variety of dance forms from renowned choreographers from across the country. The second act showcases the latest technology in stage design from Los Angeles. This production of "The Land of Oz" will incorporate elaborate video backdrops, professionally designed costumes, professional dancers, and choreographers. Join Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and a few witches in this unique and fantastical production. (270) 687-2787.
Owensboro Dance Theatre’s Dorothy’s Lollipop Tea March 22, 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. – RiverPark Center, 101 Daviess St. Enjoy a Lollipop Tea with some of the characters from "The Land of Oz: A Journey Down the Yellow Brick Road" on the Cannon Hall Stage at RiverPark Center. For reservations, contact the RiverPark Center Box Office at (270) 687-2787.
Information provided by the Owensboro Convention and Visitors Bureau
LIKE SurfKY on Facebook - Click here to LIKE us now.
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.