MADISONVILLE, Ky. (3/4/14) — The Madisonville Fire Department released the following reports Monday, March 3:
- An alarm was received from Central Dispatch for a gas leak at US Bank on South Main Street at 2:08 p.m. Feb. 28. Firefighters were advised upon arrival that Atmos was on scene and entering the structure. Engine-4 crew met with Atmos personnel and proceeded to the second floor, where the leak was thought to be. Bank personnel advised that workers in the Big Brother/Big Sister office had complained of an odor and headaches and they would be leaving for the day.
- The bank was then evacuated and they called 911to report a possible gas leak. Firefighters and Atmos began to investigate the area with flammable gas detectors and four gas meter for any possible leaks or signs of trouble with no readings present. Fire crew did notice a faint odor which had a smell similar to sewer gas, but no presence of Hydrogen Sulfide was detected by the four gas meter. Engine-16 crew advised that the gas meter was spinning and thought it could be leaking, but it was determined to just be the furnace running at that time. The furnace shut off and Engine-16 advised that the meter had quit spinning. Atmos and fire crew went to the basement to check the main furnace and lines for possible leaks with nothing being found. Atmos advised they would perform one other safety check and that fire personnel could be released. Engine-16 stood by for crowd control until Atmos finished their final test and all units returned to quarters.
- An alarm was received from Central Dispatch for a field on fire between houses on Eastwind Court at 1:12 p.m. March 1. Engine-4 responded and found a brush fire behind the residence at 1276 Eastside Lane with approximately 1/8 of an acre involved. F-9 was advised to slow their response while fire crew investigated the fire. The 200' 1 3/4" pre-connect was deployed. F-9 was advised to return to their station. Engine-4 crew extinguished the fire. No one was available at the residence. Witnesses had seen kids in the area playing with matches. The scene was deemed safe. No further action was taken and crews returned to quarters.
- An alarm was received from Central Dispatch for a report of a fire at Johnstone Supply on Whittington Drive at 7:37 p.m. March 1. While responding Central advised that fire units could disregard the response per Madisonville Police Department on scene and was with the an employee.. Engine-3 continued emergency response to investigate. Upon arrival fire crew met with the MPD. officers at Farmer Warehouse, next to Johnstone Supply. Firefighters were advised that the occupant was burning debris in barrels inside the structure. Firefighters entered the structure and found 12 barrels burning with a moderate amount of smoke throughout the structure. Occupant was told to evacuate the structure. Engine-3 requested the shift commander and another engine crew to respond to the scene. Fire crew deployed the rear bundle from Engine-3 and extinguished the barrels. Engine-4 arrived on scene and laid a 5" supply hose to Engine-3. Firefighters completely extinguished the barrels and filled them full of water to ensure extinguishment. After structure naturally ventilated, barrels were removed by the occupant with a forklift and placed outside. Owner was advised that burning was not allowed without a valid burn permit from the City of Madisonville, and that burning inside the structure was never allowed. A follow up with Fire Prevention Office will be necessary, but the scene was deemed safe. No further action was taken.
- An alarm was received from Central Dispatch for a fire alongside the railroad tracks at McCoy Ave at the CSX railroad tracks at 8:15 p.m. March 1. Upon arrival E-16 crew spotted a fire alongside the tracks approximately 300 yards south of the roadway. Battalion One contacted Central Dispatch to have CSX stop all train traffic on the tracks while fire crews were working the fire. Upon walking up the tracks fire crew discovered an area approximately 2,000 sq feet burning. Brush-9 was deployed alongside the tracks as near the fire as possible. Booster hose was deployed to extinguish the fire and cool hot spots. The scene was deemed safe and CSX was notified that the tracks were clear for use. All units returned to station.
Information Provided by Madisonville Fire Department
|< Prev||Next >|