fire dept badgeHENDERSON COUNTY, Ky. (1/1/18) — A preliminary investigation in Henderson County revealed a faulty space heater was the likely cause of a fire that claimed the life of a Reed man Friday afternoon.

Henderson County Coroner’s Office previously reported the victim, Ben Grogan, 76, likely died as a result of smoke inhalation.

Reed Volunteer Fire Department Chief Phil Stephens requested Henderson County Fire Investigator Nick Risley to look into the cause of the blaze.

Risley indicated in a preliminary report the fire remains under investigation, stating a space heater was found in the living room against a south wall, where the “heaviest fire load was discovered.”

“Several space heaters and propane heaters attached to small propane tanks were in use inside the home at the time of the fire.” Risley said. “Several explosions could be heard while firemen were attempting to extinguish the fire.”

Henderson County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Carrol Morrow and Deputy Aaron Daniels removed Grogan from the home prior to firefighters’ arrival at the scene. HCSO responded to a welfare check of the resident after friends were unable to get him to answer the door at the 8,000 block of Cheatham Road.

SurfKY News

sitelogosm© Copyright 2008 - 2018 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission.

Click here to subscribe to receive daily updates by email.

Most Read This Month

Jul 20, 2018 24986

UPDATE: Victims in Henderson Crash ID'd

by Nick Risley
Jul 11, 2018 19688

UPDATE: Several Injured in Greenville 3-Vehicle Accident

by Rita Dukes Smith, SurfKY News Director

Weather brought to you by

81°
27°
°F | °C
Mostly Sunny
Humidity: 66%
Sat
Mostly Sunny
69 | 84
20 | 28
Sun
Thunderstorms
69 | 79
20 | 26
Mon
Partly Cloudy
68 | 80
20 | 26
Tue
Mostly Sunny
66 | 85
18 | 29

Market Report

Market Report brought to you by